Product Design Engineer Iii
Reference ID: tac-5-89de9-f15de78427
Location: Powr-Flite, CFR and Tornado
The Product Design Engineer III will work within a project team independently to design and develop floor care products in various stages of the product lifecycle. Under minimal supervision, this position will be responsible for the product engineering swim lane in the New Product Development (NPD) process for assigned projects and heavily involved in all decision-making processes of each product development phase, from product concept, to design analysis and testing of the prototype and finally certifying, documenting, troubleshooting and supporting the production of new and existing products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates 3d geometry and complete specifications for new machines and components
- Creates 2d drawings of new and existing parts and assemblies
- Creates prototypes during the various stages of the development process
- Initiate, track, and maintain engineering discipline documents (DFMEA, DVP&R, XBOM).
- Creates new concepts for products that will meet the needs of our customers
- Generates new ideas & discusses with product managers, marketing team members & other engineers
- Identifies creative & innovative ways to solve problems faced by cleaning professionals
- In collaboration with the certification manager, certifies new and existing products to various national & international standards such as UL and CE
- Gathers supporting documentation regarding the certification of components
- Manages & executes engineering change requests for existing & new products
- Creates new parts & methods of manufacturing in ERP system
- Ensures all appropriate departments are updated with product changes & new product requests
- Answers technical questions asked by other departments
- Partners with manufacturing to identify & implement process improvements
- Prepares cost estimates & feasibility analysis for new product ideas
- Assists Production/Quality/ME with drawing changes and/or updates as required
- BS in mechanical or electrical engineering (or related field) or significant development experience (min. 15 years)
- Specific knowledge & skills
- Demonstrated competency in floor care product design
- Advanced knowledge of product design principles for various manufacturing processes including: rotational molding, injection molding, general machining practices, stamping, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with engineering methodologies including: DFMEA, DVP&R, XBOM (engineering BOMs), ERP systems (Epicor preferred)
- Strong 3d modeling skills (ProE Creo or SolidWorks preferred)
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, and Powerpoint.
- Thorough understanding to tolerancing and tolerance stack-ups
- Other characteristics such as personal characteristics
- Ability to understand, analyze and troubleshoot complex systems
- Ability to develop innovative solutions while balancing the price/value to the customer
- Ability to successfully complete projects with a high level of autonomy
- Proven ability to plan, schedule, coordinate & prioritize multiple tasks effectively
- Excellent analytical & problem-solving skills
- Ability to fully comprehend the spoken and written English language, ability to speak Spanish and/or Mandarin a plus
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in product design & development
- Normal office environment
- Some travel may be required
- May require overtime
The position may require but is not limited to lifting up to 50 lbs periodically, bending, stooping, twisting, stretching, walking, reaching and lifting over the head.